Celebrating the centennial anniversary of the world famous San Diego Zoo. It opened back in 1916 and has been entertaining and educating for 100 years. For the celebration the zoo has special live entertainment including musical performances, acrobats and even a parade. There was even a special statue of a cake to illustrate the celebration. Due to the summer schedule the zoo closed later and we were able to see all the animals.
Here are 10 tips if you are attend the San Diego Zoo:
1. Bring walking shoes: The zoo is huge and covered in hills.
2. Get to the Panda Exhibit later when there is less people in the park. The Pandas are a high sought after since it is the only place in the United States that has pandas.
3. Wear Sunblock: The zoo is highly vegetated and covered with gorgeous trees but it is very hot and sunny.
4. Ride the Skyfari: Ignore the signs on the side of the ride that say the ride is $4 because it is an old sign that should at least be covered up. The ride is free for everyone and you can enjoy a nice ride back to the beginning of the park. Riding on the back end of the park rarely has line we literally walked on from that end.
5. Bring water and snacks: The zoo allows food so bring in snacks and water to help save money.
6. If you want to feed the giraffes come on Thursday- Sunday. Feeding them is $10 for 3 biscuits and you are allowed to split the biscuits with your party.
7. Parking is free at the zoo
8. Bus Tour: take it either really early or closer to the end of the day because there will be less people. You will also get a nice seat with good view of the animals.
9. Check the map: check the times for different animal interactions and other entertainment
10. Visit Balboa Park: it is a close distance and a great place to explore. The architecture here is amazing.